Tuesday, October 4, 2011

No More Freaking Tank Tops

At some point early this summer my son discovered tank tops. He calls them basketball shirts. There are 4 go to tank tops in his rotation, and 2-3 backup tank tops if daddy has gotten lazy with laundry duty. There is the silver basketball jersey with Michael Jordan on the front that he calls "my Lebron James" tank top. I'm not sure how he drew the conclusion that it's Lebron James, but I can't call it anything else or I'm quickly corrected. There is an awful bluish tie dye looking shark tank top that he got somewhere, I'm not sure where. Next is a black tank top that has a basketball, soccer ball, and a baseball, that my aunt Laura so nicely gifted him. That one I'm ok with. And last but not least there is the beauty he is wearing in the picture above while doing his shopping at Whole Foods. This one makes me laugh because you can see his belly really well when he wears it. The other two fall back tank tops are another basketball jersey that looks like a knock off Vince Carter New Jersey Nets throwback, and another shark cutoff t, because you can never have enough shark tanktops. In fact, the two that he has would only get him through about 30% of "Shark Week." The reason I'm writing this post is because he refuses to let summer die. He insists on wearing a tank top every single day. Rain or shine, Tuesday or Saturday, good day on the stock market or bad day on the stock market. He is consistent, firm, and absolutely set on wearing a tank top everyday, and it's becoming a problem. His mother and I have been trying to break the cycle, but we're in an uphill battle. He's started to make deals with us. Things like, "daddy, if I eat all of my food can I wear a basketball jersey when we get home?" Or, "hey, it's a sunny day, can I wear a basketball shirt?" We've come to an agreement that he can wear a tank top, under his shirt anytime we leave the walls of our home. And as long as he's a good boy he can wear the tank top around the house when we get home. My concern is this tank top is a gateway to bigger things, mullets, confederate flags, Lynyrd Skynyrd albums, poor grammar, a general disdain for authority figures, and a love for SEC football. Who knows, maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Either way I'm tired of tank top season and ready for him to conform to real shirt season.

2 comments:

  1. My only advice is to throw them away. he will be heart broken that they disappeared for a day or two and then move on because if not he will be naked:)good luck, I deal with my 3 yo only wanting dresses and skirts and i cant throw those away we do need to dress up sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely is a gateway. You should see McKayde, he has a "mullet-tail" something he invented. He started growing a tail which is now so long he can put it in his mouth, but decided that he wanted a mullet too! Oh and I forgot, the top is a fauxhawk, so picture this. Fauxhawk on top, mullet-tail in back. Not good.

    ReplyDelete