Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Road Trippin'


Road trippin' with my two favorite allies. Fully loaded we got snacks and supplies. It's time to leave this town. It's time to steal away. Let's go get lost anywhere in the U.S.A. - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Last weekend me and Maddox decided we needed to get away. We took a quick road trip to see my dad in St. George. 3.5 hours of driving with a 2 year old is the equivalent of a road trip to Florida. Well, maybe not Florida, but it definitely felt like a full blown roadie. As we were pulling out of the driveway, my brother who lives in Cedar City called to see if we wouldn't mind picking up his dogs from my mom and dropping them off with him. Maddox was all about it, me not so much. I love dogs, but not in my car, as I'm trying to drive. Or in our case, in my car as Maddox needs a nap. We picked up the dogs in Payson, and headed on our way. Maddox loved having them along for the ride. Of course he didn't sleep, because they were yapping the whole way to Cedar City. Maddox thought that they were laughing at him, so he kept trying to be funny for them. He kept making the face from the photo above, talking to them in a funny voice, and drumming (as he was calling it) on their carrier.

Surprisingly even without a nap Maddox was such a good boy. He didn't whine or cry the entire time. When we got to St. George my dad was picking up a few things at the mall and I didn't know how to get to his new house, so we just met him at the mall. Maddox was seriously pissed when we arrived at the mall. He thought that our whole trip had been to go to the stupid mall and he wasn't having any of it. He was ready to go to grandpa's house not a stupid mall. When we got to my dad's house Maddox was in heaven. There is a big open field directly in front of his house with a playground for little kids. It was about 65 degrees outside, and Maddox was able to exercise his 2 months of wiggles from sitting inside all winter and not being able to play in the sun. After he tired of the playground we stayed out on the grass and played a game that Maddox calls "A deep fly ball!!!" Basically he just stands there and I throw a ball as high as I can and we try to catch it. That went on until my shoulder started to feel like it had been used as a door stop. Saturday night was a good time. My dad had a city awards dinner or something to go to, so Maddox and I had a night out on the town. By the time we pulled out of the driveway he'd fallen asleep. We needed to get a couple of things at the grocery store so I drove around for a while letting him get a little nap. After he woke up we did some shopping and then drove over to see the temple. Maddox loves to see the temple, it's right behind the firestation, and the gym on his favorite places in the world list. It was very pretty as always, and Maddox was thrilled to find out that it's the place where his "great grandpa Peggy," was married. "Ooooh I like that," was his response when I told him that news. Sunday we spent some time with grandpa before our trip home. We would've made great time, but Maddox demanded a chicken nugget stop in Beaver, and a blowout poop your pants stop on the side of the freeway just south of Nephi. Those are never fun, but the trip itself turned out to be a big success. That night as Maddox called to tell his mom good night he shared with her his favorite part of the trip, "Grandpa bought me some lemonade!!!" Oh the simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment