Monday, December 13, 2010

I Pledge Allegiance....

There are moments in my life that bring out my inner patriot. Certain occurences, songs, movies, or symbols make me want to break out in a "U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!" chant. Like the first time I watched Rocky IV and saw Rocky take down the invincible Ivan Drago. Even though I was like 5 years old I seriously considerred getting an American Flag tattoo. Or the time I watched the 1992 "Dream Team" annihilate every other country in the Barcelona Olympics, watching Charles Barkley throw elbows with a 60 point lead helped me realize everything that our great country stands for. Or the time that I got stomach parasites while serving my mission and lost like 25 lbs. Nothing will give you more USA pride than the consequences of eating food in another country. Many other things have made me proud to be an American, but none quite as much as what I experienced with Maddox this morning. Maddox is learning 'The Pledge of Allegiance.' Although he doesn't have all the words down, he's loving to practice, and is actually pretty close on most of it. The thing that kills me about it is his enthusiasm. Even though he's only 2 he gets it, he realizes that we live in the United Freaking States of America. What's not to be proud of? Our country gave birth to Elvis, Chuck Norris, all you can eat buffets. I could go on all day about what an amazing country we live in, but I won't, because I'd like to talk about my amazing 2 year old American son. As we drove in the car this morning Maddox started yelling, "Dad! Look at the flag!!!" We must have been passing an American Flag off to the side of the freeway. I couldn't see one, but he kept yelling for me to look at the flag. Then he started into the most prideful and patriotic version of 'The Pledge of Allegiance' that I have ever heard. It started out slow and with conviction, "I pledge allegiance, to the flag OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!!..... he screamed that part. Then it died back down as he was surely struggling to remember the words..."And to the republic, for witches and stands, One nation, UNDER GOD, indivisable, with liberty and just us for all." Although he missed a couple of words I sat there in a patriotic stupor. I couldn't believe how good he did. I couldn't believe how well he nailed the most important parts. I couldn't help but ask him to do it again, and again, and again. We probably went over it 50 times before we got to his daycare. And each time my heart was filled with more patriotism and love of country. This moment ranked way ahead of Rocky beating the Russian on the scale of patriotic moments, it even topped the time I heard that most foreign women don't shave their arm pits. Even more than my heart being filled with patriotism, it was filled with immense pride and love for this little boy. He's the most amazing thing that I've ever seen. He blows my mind every single day we spend together. I'm proud to be an American, but much more than than I'm proud to be his dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment