Tuesday, November 9, 2010

GOOD JOB DAD!!!

This morning was a lot like most mornings. I heard Maddox talking down the hall at like 4 AM, I really didn't want to try and help him fall back asleep in his room, and if I don't help him go back to sleep, or put him in my bed, "oatmeal and sesame street time" will ensue. I was pretty tired so I took the easy way out, I went in and grabbed him and put him in my bed. He takes over the bed. Ever see Elway in the fourth quarter of a close football game? Ever see Michael Jordan in the final 4 minutes of a basketball game? That's what Maddox does in my bed, he asserts his dominance, totally controls the situation and makes himself at home. He spreads out, does whatever he wants, whenever he wants to do it. In fact sometimes he'll be so in control of the bed that I wake up a few hours later on the floor. Who cares that he's only 2 feet tall, he's taking every square foot of that bed that he can. Anyways, I wake up next to him, in a headlock with his knee in my ribs, and I stumble into the bathroom. I do the usual morning routine, as I'm finishing up washing my face Maddox comes into the bathroom beaming. "Daddy, did you go poop?!" This already has me laughing, "No Maddie." He smiles even bigger, "Daddy, did you go pee?!?!!?" "Yes Maddox, I did go pee." Somehow his smile got even bigger, "GOOD JOB DADDY!!!" As he patted me on the back of the leg. This was the best positive affirmation that I'd received in months. We continued on with our routine and as I got out of the shower a little later he came into the bathroom. "Daddy, did you take a shower? " He asked as he smiled. "Yes I did Maddie." I responded. "Are you all clean?" (Huge smile on his face) "Indeed I am Maddox." "GREAT JOB DADDY!!! Now you can put on some clothes!" Not only was this nice because it was probably the best morning mood he's been in months, it was great to get some good feedback for once. It seems like this cruel world just doesn't dish out positive feedback, ever. Most of the time in the work place we're reminded of what we're not doing, or what we're doing wrong. In our relationships all too often we dwell on what's wrong and not what's right. We're almost never reminded of the positive things that we do. My little dude, that little angel that is the one bright spot in every bad day that I have, he is so good at making me see the positive. I'd never been so proud to go pee in the toilet, or so happy to get all clean in the shower. Just another reason I love my little dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment